1) You HAVE to memorize your songs. The papers get in the way of your interaction with the audience.
2) Save the gravelly songs to the end, when your voice is gravelly....
3) Do the vocally challenging songs in the beginning of the set.
4) Have a good time. It shows.
5) Take a break, don't play and sing for two hours without some sort of break...even to change instruments or SOMETHING.
6) Let them see how much you love the songs, the music, the being there. It shows.
7) Seems to work to put the real downer songs dispersed in the set.
8) Focus on the music, not you and not the audience. It shows.